1 large carrot – peeled and grated
2 onions – chopped
10 ml chopped garlic
5 ml each of ground coriander, ground ginger, curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, sugar/apricot jam, salt
15ml fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
Thick slice of white bread soaked in milk
125ml almond slivers or flaked almonds
3 – 4 bay leaves
250ml milk or buttermilk
seasoning to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil and add the mince. Cook this until the mince is nice and crumbly – not big lumps (use a wooden spoon or a fork to separate bits). Add all the spices and the carrot. Add the lemon juice and mix in.
- Add the soaked white bread, making sure to mix it in properly (you shouldn’t be able to see big chunks of bread). Add the almonds and mix through.
- Lightly whisk together the milk or buttermilk and eggs. Spoon the mix into a medium-sized oven dish and level it with the back of a spoon. Pour the milk and egg mixture over this and poke the bay leaves in the mince for decoration.
- Bake at 180 – 190 for about 40 minutes. The egg custard should be firm and set and a golden brown colour.
- Serve the bobotie with yellow rice and raisins, sliced banana, chutney and coconut.