2 jumbo egg yolks
the finely grated zest of 1 lemon
the juice of one big, juicy lemon
250 ml cream
250 ml grated Parmesan cheese
250 g good-quality or homemade fettuccini pasta
salt to taste
30 ml butter
pepper to taste
extra grated parmesan
- Whisk together the egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, cream and the 250 ml grated Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the manufacturers pack instructions until al dente. Ladle out and reserve a bit of the pasta cooking water and drain and discard the rest.
- Return the pasta to the saucepan, add the butter, season to taste and add enough of the reserved cooking water to slightly moisten it.
- When the pasta has become piping hot again, pour in the creamy-egg mixture and toss well until piping hot.
- Remove from heat and serve at once with extra grated Parmesan cheese and lemon wedges.
- A crisp green salad with an oil-free dressing will not be wasted as a side dish.