- 100g back bacon, cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 ciabatta bread, sliced into very thin rounds
- 200g assorted lettuce leaves
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 Free-range egg yolks
- 6 anchovy fillets, diced
- 10ml garlic cloves, crushed
- 5ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 60ml Extra Virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a non-stick frying pan over high heat, fry the bacon until crisp.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil and lightly toast the sliced bread.
- In a salad bowl, toss the lettuce, fried bacon and ciabatta croutons (reserve a few for serving) with the dressing. Garnish with the Parmesan shavings and serve with extra croutons on the side.
- To make the dressing: Combine the egg yolks with the lemon juice, anchovy pieces, garlic and thyme. Add the sunflower and olive oils in a slow, steady stream, while whisking, until a thick emulsion forms. Season to taste.
Tip: You can make this delicious dressing in advance and just put the salad together when needed. Serve on individual plates as a starter.